Rechercher dans ce blog

Saturday, October 23, 2021

Was “your” parking spot in front of your house taken? Here’s what Staten Islanders do to defend them - SILive.com

worldinmiddleeast.blogspot.com

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. – Staten Islanders take that parking spot in front of their homes very seriously.

As if you didn’t know.

I wrote about the spot in front of my house last weekend.

It really touched a nerve, with readers checking in on the sometimes outrageous parking shenanigans they see in their own neighborhoods.

Or they clued me in about how they protect and defend the spots in front of their own homes.

One person I ran into said that if they see someone parked in “their” spot, they’ll lay on their own car horn until the encroacher comes out and moves the car.

Another does the old close-parking trick, pulling up right behind the bumper of the alien car. Have fun getting your car out!

One reader told me of a neighbor who has multiple cars and spends their day orchestrating vehicle movements as family members come and go so that their preferred spots are always available.

It must be nice to have that kind of time on your hands.

Another reader told me of a family on their block who call ahead when they’re on their way home so that spots in front of the home can be cleared for them.

Another reader told me that they have a neighbor who doesn’t have a car but still puts garbage cans and other objects in the street in front of their house in order to preserve that precious spot.

I guess they like an uncluttered view of the street.

Here’s another situation I heard about: A neighborhood resident who doesn’t use their driveway. They instead park one of their vehicles in front of the house and another to block the driveway.

That doesn’t make sense to me. But I’m guilty of a similar infraction in that I rarely use the garage and driveway that belong to me because they’re around the block from my house.

Another reader said they know of a North Shore neighborhood where everybody on the block puts orange cones out in order to protect spots.

God help anyone who moves any of those cones. This happens in other neighborhoods too.

Coneheads. (Anthony DePrimo/Staten Island Advance)

And I do pity people who live near schools or hospitals.

I heard from one reader who complained about conditions in the neighborhoods around the Petrides Educational Complex, where carpoolers leave their vehicles and take up all the parking. Never mind the yellow school buses that rumble up and down the block all day.

Another who lives near Barnes Intermediate School said cars from the school block their driveway and even used to park on the lawn before sidewalks were installed in the neighborhood and provided a barrier.

This reader said that when he put cones out, one motorist read them the riot act.

So strangers feel possessive about parking spots in front of homes that aren’t even theirs.

Another reader who lives near one of our borough hospitals said that vehicles belonging to workers or visitors constantly block the path that leads from their house to the street.

I remember one time I had to park around the block from my house because my street was being paved. But that didn’t stop the person whose house I parked in front of from putting a snarky note on my car, telling me to park in front of my own house.

This means war? (Tom Wrobleski/Staten Island Advance)

As if I wanted to park so far from home???

And, yes, I have put the garbage cans out to protect the spot that I dug out in front of my house the last time it snowed.

And if you don’t defend your spots, sometimes a car gets left there for months before being moved. I had that experience too.

Location, location, location. (Tom Wrobleski/Staten Island Advance)

Wait until anti-car lawmakers charge us for use of city streets for “car storage.”

Then you’re really going to see parking wars.

Adblock test (Why?)



"front" - Google News
October 23, 2021 at 09:00PM
https://ift.tt/2ZehHEv

Was “your” parking spot in front of your house taken? Here’s what Staten Islanders do to defend them - SILive.com
"front" - Google News
https://ift.tt/3aZh1mr
https://ift.tt/3b2xvu5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search

Featured Post

Tornado Watch for parts of Middle Georgia - wgxa.tv

[unable to retrieve full-text content] Tornado Watch for parts of Middle Georgia    wgxa.tv "middle" - Google News December 30...

Postingan Populer