Rechercher dans ce blog

Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Up Front: Reflections from the 'Dark Corner' - Greenville Journal

worldinmiddleeast.blogspot.com

Greetings from the new guy!

Since I started writing for Community Journals in April, I’ve fallen in love all over again with journalism and wanted to take a little time to share a bit about why.

I’m a 1970 model and although I wasn’t born in Greenville, as my dad used to say, we got up here as quickly as we could. I’ve been a journalist for the better part of 30 years and continue to love telling the stories of interesting people doing interesting things.

I live on Highway 11 just inside Spartanburg County near Landrum and could throw a rock into that part of northern Greenville County known as the “Dark Corner.” Illicit corn liquor may still be available there if you know who to ask but I have tried to remain radiantly ignorant of such matters. It’s safer that way, or so I’m told.

My father ran a pipe and cigar shop in Greenville for 40 years, so the city has always been our family’s center of gravity whether we lived there or not. Watching it transform in recent decades has been fascinating.

One of the remarkable facets about our area’s growth is how many people have moved here from across the country and the world. Frankly, I don’t think there’s anyone left in Ohio as they all seem to have moved to the Upstate. Getting to write about our newest neighbors and the reasons they moved here is a highlight of my job and I hope you find these stories as interesting as I do.

Jay King
Jay King is a staff writer for the Greenville Journal and Upstate Business Journal.

I also love writing about the people and organizations working behind the scenes to keep our communities functioning. While reporting on where new sewer and water lines are being installed may sound boring or unimportant, where those lines go will shape where growth and development are likely to happen.

Over the decades this job has taught me how interconnected we are and how small the world can seem once you start talking to people. During a recent interview with Jeanet Dreskin, a Greenville artist who will celebrate her 100th birthday in September, I was powerfully reminded of my grandmother. She was born almost exactly one month after Mrs. Dreskin in 1921 and lived through many of the same tumultuous times.

We work hard to bring you stories of your friends and neighbors and of the companies and organizations that make Greenville such a special place to live. We always welcome your suggestions for stories to cover and ways we can improve what we do.

If you have ideas, please email me at jay@communityjournals.com. Read more of King’s articles.

Letter to the editor

Adblock test (Why?)



"front" - Google News
August 05, 2021 at 06:12AM
https://ift.tt/3jliREt

Up Front: Reflections from the 'Dark Corner' - Greenville Journal
"front" - Google News
https://ift.tt/3aZh1mr
https://ift.tt/3b2xvu5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search

Featured Post

Tornado Watch for parts of Middle Georgia - wgxa.tv

[unable to retrieve full-text content] Tornado Watch for parts of Middle Georgia    wgxa.tv "middle" - Google News December 30...

Postingan Populer